Welcome to Dora's Cottage...

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Southern Front Porch and Door Re Do

I have been enjoying my return to the south.  I dearly miss my friends in Missouri but it feels like I am home.  If you are a southerner you probably know how much we love our front porches and sweet tea!  Our new house has a beautiful front porch and we have had mild weather here to sit out there and have a nice cold glass of sweet tea!   

 I placed my vintage terrarium in the corner with a lamp and put my vintage framed chalk board beside it.  Right now it lists my front porch rules :)


 I tried to find a before pic of the front door to compare but I lost it : (  It was a faded charcoal gray and the lock had been changed out and it wasn't painted at all around the lock.  In my neighborhood all of the doors are gray, red or black.  As I was deciding what color to paint it I found a can of outside oops paint from Home Depot.  It is greenish gray color.  I was concerned it may not be dark enough to contrast with the stone facade.  I bought it anyways for $7.00 and figured I could have it darkened if I didn't like the color.  After 2 coats it darkened and I really liked it.  But it still needed a little something something so I broke out my trusty Ralph Lauren Tobacco glaze and applied it.  I also ordered a custom house number decal from Etsy and applied that after it was completely dried.  Whatcha think? 

1 comment:

  1. Looks lovely, Christy! I'm glad to hear you are settling in and living happily way over there. School started last week and I am having trouble getting back into the swing of things without feeling totally exhausted by the end of the day. But all is well. I love the yellow mixer, too. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete